Tuesday, December 20, 2011

2 Week "Mack Truck"

So, I've been absent for almost two weeks on here. I haven't ran in that time and I've been to the gym once, and it felt like for most of that time that I was hit by a Mack truck. If this is what my new "flares"are going to be like, this might be a little tougher than I thought.

The past two weeks I've had crazy migraine/tension headache (not sure what the difference is or which one I had), a gigantic flare in my hands/fingers/and arms, lower back pain, and as of just recently a lot of pain in my legs. The weird thing about the pain in the legs is that it has not been in my joints (or so I think) and instead feels like "growing pains." Legs were throbbing last night and they've just felt sore the entire time. Also, I have been EXTREMELY tired, to the point of having to try my hardest not to fall asleep at work after getting a full nights sleep.

I still plan on doing this ING half marathon, but have come to the sobering realization that "training" for it in the normal sense that most people train for half marathons probably isn't the best route for me. Gonna have to devise another way to get it done.

These new symptoms have me wondering what else might be going on, whether its the metho, the RA, or something else entirely (did a little research on Fibromyalgia), but I'm hoping it's nothing new. If anyone's had these symptoms before, any tips or hints on what it is/how to deal with it would be great.

Still sticking with the anti-inflammation diet thanks to @carl0tal0u.

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog last weekend, Kyle, and very much enjoyed reading your entries. I admire your attitude with respect to RA and the goal you have set.

    I have been a lifelong runner doing distances of 3000m to the marathon. Up until this fall I have been an active masters athlete in track, cross country and road races. Even this spring I was posting some decent times at 55 years old: 5k 19:32, 10k 38:26 (downhill course).

    For the past year I have been experiencing all of the symptoms of an autoimmune disorder, but I am still in the process of being diagnosed (rheumatologist appointment on Jan. 24th).

    I kept running and competing up until September past through modifying my training plans, but have reached a point where it's now too painful to run. So, as you can appreciate, it's been difficult when you can't get out there and just go.

    From the description of your recent condition, I fully understand where you're coming from. Over the past year I have been forced to make radical changes in my training routines; I've taken multiple days off, changed up the pace and distance of my runs and also the types of runs - easy trail with scheduled kilometre breaks as opposed to easy street run with no breaks. I also took up cycling which served me well as long as my wrists cooperated. So your decision to have a second look at how you are training is a good one. There are any ways to reach your goal; you just have to find the best one for you given your circumstances. As a running coach, come to think of it, this is the same thing I would say to any athlete.

    I can't comment on the role of your meds in all of this, but I would bet it is significant. Another obstacle to overcome!

    I am very hopeful that with a diagnosis and treatment plan, I will be able to get back to running. It might not look the same as in the past, but perhaps I'll appreciate it more. In the meantime, please know that there are people out there reading your blog and rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kyle,

    The description sounds like a pretty typical RA flare with fatigue. Some people have them come and go like that. For others, it's constant.

    As long as it's periodic, I hope you can keep training. Hopefully with a good response to treatment, it will be even less frequent - it's very important that the doctor is aware of whether the treatment is working so you need to have good communication so that your treatment can be adjusted frequently for your best outcome.

    I know a few others who have responded well to treatment and continued to run - I'll send them your link. When RA hit me hard early in 2006, overnight I went from being able to run 2 hours on the beach or do 50 pushups to not being able to wash my hair or pick up a coffee cup. Different joints are worse on different days, but it has not ever relented. SO, I would always ask my doc at every appointment: When will I run? When will I be able to hold a tennis raquet? The doc always said: Soon.

    That doc didn't know of course. And no one can. No one can predict the course of your RA or whether you will respond to any treatment. The science is not there yet. But you can treat aggressively and get good physical therapy when it helps you. Some like to emphasize how much depends on patient effort and attitude; while that's true in part, I have to say that of the thousands of RA patients I've heard from over the last few years, almost all of them do the most they can every day and remain positive despite frequent painful symptoms. I have NO doubt you are there too and will do as well as possible. Good luck!!

    PS: I've refused to sell my tennis raquet and still have running shoes even though I cannot get them onto my feet yet.

    ReplyDelete

Followers